Abatements are reductions in one’s taxable valuation. They are granted when the assessor discovers an error or irregularity in assessment. If the owner believes that the current value placed on their property is inaccurate, unfair, or overvalued relative to market value, they may take the following steps:
  1. Review the property record card to assure the accuracy of its date
  2. Check sale prices of similar properties
  3. Provide evidence to the assessor that the property is overvalued
  4. Request a valuation review by the assessor
  5. Make a formal abatement request if not satisfied by the assessor
The Property Owner has 185 days from the commitment date to file a formal abatement request. The Assessor may go back 1 year in granting an abatement. The Board of Selectmen may go back 3 years, but only to correct an illegality, error and/or irregularity in assessment. The Board of Selectmen may not grant an abatement to correct the valuation of property. In making a formal abatement appeal the assessment is presumed valid and the burden is on the taxpayer to show that it is manifestly wrong in relation to just value.

The assessor’s office is located in the town office.