Lisa Symes is the animal control officer. To contact her call 207-670-5146.
All dog licenses expire December 31st. All dogs at the age of 6 months or more, by law need to be licensed, on or before January 1st of each year.
- The fee for a male or female dog is $11
- The fee for a spayed or neutered dog is $6
To license a dog, the owner must provide:
- A current rabies certificate
- Proof and/or a certificate if spayed or neutered
- If moving from another town/city in Maine, bring in current license and a new license will be issued. The cost is $2
Licenses are available for renewals and new for the next year on or about October 15th. If dogs are not registered by January 31st of each year, there is a state mandated fee of an additional $25 per dog.
1st Time Licensing
If you are licensing your dog for the 1st time in Maine:
You must have a current rabies vaccination certification issued by a Maine licensed veterinarian
You must have an accurate description of your dog, including your dog’s name, breed, sex and color
You must have a written statement from your veterinarian that clearly states your dog is altered and/or sterile to qualify for the low cost altered license fee.